Thursday, September 1, 2011

Let there be light!

I've had these 2 metal rings and hanging light cord for a while now waiting to be transformed into a beautiful hanging lampshade.

I wanted to make a lampshade that was transparent in some areas and more opaque in others. To create the shade itself, I used a heavy clear plastic that I cut to 10" high and the length of the circumference of the 18" metal rings. Using Mod Podge, I glued on different types of paper and painted other areas. I made many holes about 1/8" from the edge of the top and bottom of the plastic and with a large needle and hemp string I attached it to the metal rings. Even though I really loved how the lampshade turned out, it was only when I put the light inside that it really came to life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful light!!! Can i ask what kind of plastic you used? i NEED to try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete